Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Review of Anna Dressed in Blood


Anna Dressed in Blood
Publisher: Tor Teen (August 2011 )
Genre: YA
Format: Hardcover (316 pages)
Source: Purchased

Rating 5/5

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.



Review
Killer Book
This book is like nothing I’ve read before. So it got the originality bonus. First of all, I liked Cas a lot. There was no whining that he hated his capabilities, that his life sucked, and on and on of woe was me. Let me tell you how much I loath that whining of the main character. Yeah sure he was arrogant to a fault, but I liked it. 

Anna, now there is a kick ass ghost. She really did spew some blood out. One of her first kills and I had to re read it just to make sure. That one did her name proud. She was a pretty nasty ghost but I felt sorry for her too and especially after you find out what really happened to her. 
Lots of great writing through this book :) Here are two of my favorite quotes.
For some reason this one had me chuckling.
“she’s to much of daylight for me” 


I always felt and easily pictured the world she was creating.

“I like it more to come to a place like this, where the scent of death is carried to you on every seventh breath”.


The last 1/4 of the book, or the complaint department for others. It worked for me. I thought I was reading about a certain type of book and then bam! Something completely different comes along. 

I’m already looking for the next book. This one had me pondering as I munched on my Cheerios’s and just an FYI my detective skills were completely off on who murdered Anna.
Would I recommend this book to you reader? YES YES YES!


No comments:

Post a Comment