Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review of The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Host

Publisher:  Little Brown and Company (May 2008 )
Genre:  Sci-Fi Romance
Format: PB (619
pages)
Source: Purchased


Rating 5/5

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.



Review

This is one of my favorite books all time. I have to admit the only reason I read it was because I wanted to see the movie and it looked good.

The Host was completely opposite of what I Thought it was going to be. Okay so here I was I was thinking this is the run of the mill alien book; it takes over girl, girl kicks aliens butt. Get lots of action, the end. How far from the truth I was. 

This was about finding humanity. What it means to be human. The good, the bad and the ugly.
I thought that I would hate Wanda. But I ended up falling in love with her and rooting for her. On One hand I hated what she was but On the Other I loved who she was. I think that you get the same feeling from Melanie's character as well. 

The best part of the book was the ending. Not that that's the only good part, but for me with the most emotionally charged part of the book. I actually cried at the end of this book.
 That’s what I love so much about this book. I became emotionally attached to Wanda and Melanie. It was conflicting, confusing and a different way of looking at things. 

This is a beautiful, emotional rollercoaster ride and I didn’t want it to end.

Xoxoxo

Favorite moment in the book

“I held you in my hands, Wanderer, and you were beautiful.” 

“It's not the face, but the expressions on it. It's not the voice, but what you say. It's not how you look in that body, but the thing you do with it. You are beautiful.”

“I, the soul called Wanderer, love you, human Ian. And that will never change, no matter what I might become.”

No comments:

Post a Comment